Nevada: Continue to fight to defeat the minor consent bill now
SB172 will allow our children of any age to consent to dangerous drugs used for the prevention and treatment of STDs including vaccination, and to receiving contraception without parental consent.
Our Stand: At-A-Glance
- SB172 has passed out of the hearing and will be voted for in a working session and sent to the Senate Floor for a vote soon, so we need your voice in mass action, Nevada.
- This bill removes the age of consent completely for certain medical treatments. This bill will allow any child of any age to consent to treatment by a physician, physician’s assistant, registered nurse, or pharmacist for services to prevent and treat STDs and pregnancy.
- Treatments can include, but are not limited to the testing, treatment, and prevention of HIV and other STDs. Prevention of STDs includes dispensing prescription drugs and, as with HPV, can include administering vaccines. Vaccines for HIV are also in the pipeline. This bill would also allow a child to be given contraceptive drugs or devices. And all of this would be allowed without the consent or even the notification of the parents or legal guardian of the minor.
- This bill is a violation of the family unit. It deeply infringes on a parent’s right to make medical decisions for children who are too young to make these important choices. This slippery slope leads to the demise of the sacred parent-child relationship.
- SB172 represents a clear overreach by the state into the care and upbringing of our children and violates our medical and religious freedom.
- Please let your legislators know that you do not consent to any aspect of this bill, especially any part that allows your underage children to make medical decisions without your notification and consent.