INDIANA: Protect your freedom and tax dollars; stop the extreme expansion of public health
A 2200% increase in public health dollars won’t fix Indiana’s health problems.
Our Stand: At-A-Glance
- This Thursday morning at 9 a.m. (March 30th), we have an opportunity to testify against the $150 million-per-year expansion of public health. Currently, every health department in the state splits a pot of under $7 million dollars per year. The fiscally irresponsible bureaucrats pushing this agenda would like you, the taxpayer, to foot the bill for the hefty increase. Now is your opportunity to push back!
- Here are a few of the main talking points against the massive increase in public health spending that will give public health agencies more power. Don’t forget: These are your tax dollars and your freedom!
- During a time of historic inflation, it is irresponsible and bad public policy to increase spending by 22x (2200%).
- In a state with a Republican supermajority, it’s unbelievable that citizens have to come testify, asking legislators to be more fiscally responsible.
- The state and local health departments still have leftover COVID grant money and do not need another handout from working Hoosiers at this time.
- Throwing money at a problem won’t fix it. Despite half of Indiana’s budget going to education, the public school system is failing our children. What about the last three years makes you think throwing a pot of money at public health agencies won’t have the same effect?
- The legislature is already addressing high health care costs in Indiana this year. Let those interventions play out before agreeing to spend $150 million per year of our tax dollars, some of which may be redundant. Health metrics are more likely to improve from consultation with primary care providers than through public health spending. Most of our top health problems in this state stem from a lack of will, not a lack of awareness.
- According to Dr. Kris Box, health departments are already performing nearly all of the core services, so why would they need a 22x increase in funding? It will just fund state bureaucracy.
- We need you to help take action today by telling the Indiana Senate Appropriations Committee members not to approve this budget increase! Your voice matters. Tell them you do not agree with your tax dollars being spent on public health expansion!
- We have drafted the email for you to send to committee members, but best practice is to customize the email so that our legislators know how much you personally care. Add a paragraph to the beginning saying “My name is ___. I have lived in Indiana for ____. The reason I care about this issue is because _____.” Or customize it however you wish.
- Don’t forget to come testify in person at the Statehouse on Thursday, March 30, at 9 a.m. in room 431. Email [email protected] for more information.
Your home address information is required from the legislative offices to ensure you are reaching out to your designated representatives. Your email and your phone number are used to establish connection with your designated representatives. Messages from non-constituents don't have the same impact on a legislator as messages from verified constituents, who can vote for that officeholder. We do not share your name and contact information with any third parties unless legally required to do so.
Have a question or need help?