HB1323 passed the Senate, with amendments, by a vote of 67-24. Previously, the House of Representatives passed HB1323 by a 50-44 vote.
Our final request is to email and call Governor Burgum to show him where we stand on HB1323. Below are his options, quoted from the ND Legislative website (legis.nd.gov):
“After the House and the Senate pass a bill, the measure goes to the Governor for consideration. The Governor has three options:
- Sign the bill.
- Veto the bill, in which case the bill with the veto message must be returned to its house of origin within three days. The Legislative Assembly can override the Governor’s veto by a two-thirds vote of the legislators in both houses.
- Refuse to sign the bill. The bill then becomes law without the Governor’s signature.”
Please keep in mind:
- We encourage you to be kind and respectful in all communication.
- At this point, numbers are more important than content. All he needs to know is that you want this bill to become law. Please ask anyone and everyone who agrees with you on HB1323 to get on the phone or email him TODAY.
- This is a great opportunity to remind the Governor that he serves the people, not vice versa.
Thank you for being a part of this process. This is happening because of the effort of each person involved. Never underestimate the power of your voice.
HB 1323 is sponsored by Rep. Jeff Hoverson (R-3), who’s calling it “The People’s Bill.” It would prevent the ND government from mandating masks at the state, county, and local level, including in public schools. It received tremendous support from the public and, since passing the House, we are also asking Senators to pass this bill.